PROTECT THE PUBLIC UNIVERSITY – WARWICK: OBJECTIVES
by Arran James
1. That the Vice-Chancellor of this university publicly affirms a commitment to the protection and promotion of the public university. We suggest he starts by affiliating himself with the Campaign for the Public University or Council for the Defence of British Universities.
2. That the Vice-Chancellor relinquishes his unjustifiable pay increase, with the funds to be channeled into widening access. We suggest that a bursary is established for students from the local community.
3. That the university safeguards its staff, both academic and non-academic, against the government’s radical restructuring of higher education. This would include protection from staff losing their jobs, any further pay freezes or cuts, casual contracts, and outsourcing of contracts.
4. That the university must oppose the current lobbying by Russell Group representatives to abolish the tuition fee cap and reduce bursary commitments.
5. That the governance of the university should include greater and more diverse staff…
View original post 145 more words